Wednesday 18 May 2011

Labour of Love

A few months back, Mum expressed her wish to have a handbag made for her. So I started sketching ideas and thinking of bag patterns. Then the iPad came along and everything ground to a halt and I thought I had plenty of time. Then I finally managed to get something started but half way through, I became quite unhappy with the bag I was making and decided to start afresh because it was really important that my mum will like the bag I've made for her. This time, I decided to try a pattern that I had bought online. And before I could start doing anything, I went on holiday and another week has gone before I could start picking the fabric and started cutting the bits and pieces needed to make the bag with. Step by step I followed the pattern and joined the fabric that I've cut, piece by piece. Although I would have loved to make my mum's bag from a pattern I had designed myself, I was pressed for time so using a pattern seemed a sensible idea. And using this pattern, I have really learned a lot from making this bag. It wasn't always plain sailing; there was frustration and there was satisfaction.

Finally, today I came really close to finishing it. Although I still have to put the lining of the bag in place, I couldn't wait any longer and decided to share the pictures of this near-finish bag.

With Steve's help, I chose oilcloth as the front and bag panels of the bag; and a plain, matching cotton fabric for the zip section. I wouldn't say this bag is perfectly made, but i am quite happy with the result so far. A few pictures to show you.
 Really didn't expect it to be quite so big.
 Before the straps got sewn on. You can see the instructions on the sewing table, and my 'best friend'.
A rather challenging step, piecing the front and bag panels together with the zippered section.

Can't wait to carry on with the project, finish the lining and send this bag off to my Mum. Bless her she's waited long enough.

In the meantime, I'm already thinking of more projects to embark upon. How exciting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Your bag is BEAUTIFUL!! The oilcloth is stunning. And the bag looks beautifully made. Well done you. Here is to oilcloth and sewing bags from it! I am sure your mum is going to love her new bag.

PengPeng彬彬 said...

thanks dianna :) here's to oilcloth !! *cheers*

i can't stop thinking about things i can make with oilcloth, especially when i'm driving... is that dangerous?

xx

Anonymous said...

You've got the bug...fab isn't it. I have it so bad, that little projects keep me awake at night, whilst I try figure out what the best way to do them would be! Enjoy, it is such fun

Post a Comment

It is great to read your comments so please feel free to do so.